If you didn’t know, there’s a new Admin Center for Office 365. As of this blog post, it is still a preview. If you would like to learn more about this new preview, and start using it – head over to the official announcement: https://blogs.office.com/2016/03/04/announcing-the-new-office-365-admin-center/
In this post, we will focus on one thing: the new deployment mechanism for Office add-ins. In the past, we’ve been able to deploy Office add-ins using a SharePoint App Catalog and other techniques – but now, we have a seamless way of doing this. In addition, we are able to easily tailor the access control for these Office add-ins. Let me show you how!
Head to the Admin Center of your Office 365 tenant: https://portal.office.com/AdminPortal/Home
- Expand the Settings section.
- Click on Services & add-ins.
- Click on the Add an Office Add-in button.
Next up, you need to select from which source you will upload your manifest file. You can choose either a local file, or a public URL. As long as it provides a valid Office add-in manifest file. In this blog post, I will use a local file.
- Click on the Browse button and choose your manifest file.
- Click on the Next button.
Next up you will be able to customize the Office add-in in a few different ways. Let’s take a quick look at the various options.
- First up is the Status option. With this, you will be able to turn on and off the Office add-in.
- Below is the Add-in Data option. This is where the basic information described in the manifest file is displayed.
- Lastly in the Who has access? section, you will be able to control which users or groups of users are able to access this Office add-in.
- Click on the Edit button in the Who has access? section to edit this property.
Remember that you can always go back and change these options later on.
- Finalize the options by clicking the Save button.
- The manifest file will now be saved in the Office 365 tenant.
- Your Office add-in will now be available in the new Office 365 tab in the Office applications. You can read more on how to start using Office add-ins here: https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Start-using-your-Office-Add-in-82e665c4-6700-4b56-a3f3-ef5441996862?ui=en-US&rs=en-US&ad=US
This new way of distributing Office add-ins across the organization is streamlining the ability to manage and maintain solutions across the tenant. Empowering the IT administrators to deploy and empower the organization with Office add-ins. Remember to check out the announcement blog post about the new Office 365 Admin Center preview: https://blogs.office.com/2016/03/04/announcing-the-new-office-365-admin-center/